Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Changes

Every time I feel I need to unwind a little at work, I usually check Spotify's Weekly Discovery and listen to some good old music. While doing some paper work, One Direction's Night Changes acoustic version played. I'm not really a fan of One Direction but I like some of their songs. Remember how I wrote in one of my previous blogs how God talks to me through music? I got that feeling that the Holy Spirit is telling me something, incidentally, through this song.

If you listen to the song and read through the lyrics, you will know that this is about a young girl who's about to attend her prom and do something that would possibly break her innocence afterwards (if you know what I mean). But never mind the content of the verses. Let's focus on the chorus:

"We're only getting older, baby
And I've been thinking about it lately
Does it ever drive you crazy
Just how fast the night changes?"


Have you ever had difficulties keeping up with changes in your life? These days, thoughts about changes in my finances, work, family and service are running around my head. There are days when I overthink and there are also days when I don't want to think anymore. Crazy, right? Sometimes, it's hard to accept these changes because we don't want to jump out of our comfort zones. We are terrified of the consequences that are not yet there to begin with. When life presents us with choices different from the ones we used to have, we tend to pick the safest choice because we don't want to explore. Worse, we don't choose anymore. We just let things be and find comfort in the quote, "It is what it is." We want to fill our jars but we refuse to let go of that stagnant water.


"Everything that you ever dreamed of
Disappearing when you wake up..."

I've had my share of uphill climbs and sudden descent. How many times have I failed to keep up with change? How many times have I felt disappointed with myself because I keep failing? How many times have I felt hopeless because I keep working and exerting effort on something that I couldn't really get in the end. Have you ever felt so useless sometimes that no matter what you do, you can't turn your life around?

"But there's nothing to be afraid of
Even when the night changes
It will never change me and you"

Now, these last three lines really made me realize that no matter how often our hearts change, His heart will remain the same. No matter how many times our hearts break, His love and grace will eventually make our hearts whole again. There will be instances when plans don't materialize but let us not forget that His plans are better than ours. His ways are not our ways and no matter how we try to understand, His wisdom will always be a mystery to us. Thus, the only way is to surrender and allow ourselves to change for the better.

Even when the night changes, it will never change us, as long as we stand firm in our faith. The darkness will not shake us because we know where to seek His light. We won't be discouraged because the best is yet to come. Trust the process. Trust His plan and know that if He is with us, no change can go against us.

😊






No comments:

Post a Comment